Thursday, November 09, 2006

HAPPT WHAT?

Ok I have this uber cute idea to make a Thanksgiving rug, using my kids footprints for a turkey. My rose colored thoughts were that years down the road I would look at the rug and say "Remember when." The part that happens after those words can be interchanged with happiness or regret!

So we begin, we are all excited, they see the brushes and can hardly wait to touch paint. I began with Dale to do the largest rump feathers, and try crayola washable paint. Well it kinda shows up and then I realize once it gets wet it will run. Thats no good, so I decide to use acrylic paint. By now Macy is climbing all over the rug b/c she wants to be involved and sees that I used Dales foot, so clearly I need her foot, and she is showing me she can pick up and put down her foot too. Reid is asking" Is it my turn, I want to paint" over and over and over. So I go inside get some watercolors to occupy the waiting crew, and grab my acrylic paints. So I do Dales feet and it looks pretty good, the watercolors held off the masses, and I have told the boys probally 10 times this is staining paint. It will NOT come off clothes, or the ground, tables, chairs..... Anyone see where this is headed! I keep going and do Reids feet, and we get them done, minus one slip. Wet paint is really slippery! Ok I am feeling pretty confident so I need a reality check apparetnly and Macy gives me one by spilling the water color water all over the watercolor book and is back to walk on the rug....the freshly painted WET rug. I am not fast enough and now there are little specs all over from her feet. I grab her up, move her and turn to see that Reid and Dale have now sat in chairs and tucked their feet underneath them....and there is paint all over their pants, and the chairs....AHHH Reid! Dale! look at your PANTS! Reid says sorry I won't do it again, and I have a BAD MOMMY retort of well that stain is there forever their ruined. Dale is in horror b/c this is one of his favorite pairs of pants and now Macy has returned to the rug and sat in the paint. I pick her up again and Reid has run inside, with painted feet...across the kitchen, up the carpeted stairs to get clean pants. I lost it. I get Reid back outside. I picked up the rug and paints said FORGET IT, and went inside leaving all 3 kids outside on the deck upset. I walked to the front window to take my 10 seconds, say a quick prayer for the right perspective, and then think. Right now if this project continues as it has ,I will hate this rug, b/c I will forever remember it as when I flipped out. I regain myself, borrow a little sanity from an angel, and open the door and say lets start over. So we did and Macy was in a diaper, reid a clean pair of shorts and dale his satined pants. But we all participated the specks became corn and pumpkins and it ended up happy and here is a picture of the finished rug!
3 pants $15 each $45
2 shirts $7 each $14
Rug $15
That is one expensive seasonal rug $74.00 I better keep it for a while!

2 comments:

alicia said...

Hey Susan!!! I found your blog. What a cute idea for a rug. Maybe when I have more kids I can borrow that idea. I am going to miss little Macy and the rest of the kids so much. She is a beautiful little girl.

carolyn said...

that's the best idea for tday! so cute, love the story.