Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Political Revelation

Ok so I am apart of History in the making, Barack will be our new president. I hope he and the congress and senate will make sound decisions for our nation. I must say it does scare me that the democratic party has majority control, so much for checks and balances. I also want to voice my frustration with the notion that so many voted for Barack simply for the "different, cool, history making" reason. In my mind with America being the melting pot that it is race/ gender, should have no bearing...if you are the best then so be it, but as long as there are racial differences there will be racism. I do find it a testimant to how far we have come as a nation, to elect an African American to lead our nation. That is outstanding, I just do not think he was the right individual, and so many were too eager to be the ones make this election be historical....not in any comparison but Hitler made histoy as well. I am not saying that McCain and Palin were the all knowing/ fixing pair either, I questioned his judegments and her on NUMEROUS occasions, just the lesser of an evil in my mind, however IF he had been elected with the democratic majority in Congress and Senate he would have been powerless as well . I will support him as our leader, and do find a little solice with the fact that he did win the majority vote of the nation and not simply the antiquated electorial college votes.....don't get me started on that..... maybe we should make candidates in future elections wear masks and supplied uniforms to limit the amout of superficial judgments avaliable to the public, and force Americans to hear the issues and judge on that alone... but then where would SNL get material.... on a lighter note here is a funny story I had emailed to me...

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redis tribution of wealth.She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican , a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self- professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indic ated so to her father.He responded by asking how she was doing in school.Taken aback , she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn' t even have time for a boyfriend, and didn' t really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.Her father listened and then asked , "How is you friend Audrey doing ?"She replied, " Audrey is barely getting by. She takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. But she is so popular on campus, college for her is a blast . She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn 't even show up for classes because she' s too hung over." Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don' t you go to the Dean' s office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA. The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion , angrily fired back, " That wouldn't be fair! I have worked reall y hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree.She played while I worked my tail off!"The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, " Welcome to the Republican Party ."

No comments: