Sunday, February 13, 2011

Church surfing

So we have tried a bunch of churches and there was one more I wanted to give a shot....we did today....and not my style is an understatement. The church sanctuary was huge and had pews which is neither bad or good just observation bc most of the contemporary churches we have tried have chairs. At 2 min till the service there was just about no one there, which could have been the sheer size of the bldg. So singing begins and there is a formal choir in robes and a full rock band, preacher in full suit and tie, and band in jeans and tshirts, again neither bad or good just a little dis jointed in my opinion, and then everyone starts dancing in a new age kinda way, dancing in circles, in the isles, and then flags start waiving.... No joke like high school drill team flags, but not in unison just doing whatever and then a horn blows but not a trumpet but like an actual elk horn making a weird noise that went with nothing. And the songs went on for a really really long time example sing song, then no choir, then just a girl, then just a guy, then with music again, then really slow, then even slower, then a whisper and finally over, no kidding about 12 min songs. Then we read the bulletin and see there is an hour of singing then the sermon when kids leave to children's church so about a 2 hr deal ... So at that point we decided to leave so we made it about 40 mins. I feel very judgmental writing this and not that I am against anyone it but just not my style. I do not mind raising of hands or interjecting our own thing but this felt like a performance not a genuine thing.... Just not for us, duke and I quietly stood there as folks danced all over and the kids were starting to point out random weird act and behaviors...it was kinda bizarre.
I am all for a contemporary service and actually prefer it to a traditional one but this place was over the top....too evangelical for me but To each his own and if that fills what the attendees need then awesome, glad they are getting closer to God, then it meets it goal, just not a place I felt comfortable to call a church home, so the search continues.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: