Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Ahh Little League Sports the DRAMA

Ok I really should not be allowed to vent any frustrations today seeing as I have a fever from who knows what and feel like utter CRAP. Seariously Debby Downer could be my motivational speaker today. But I am gonna throw caution to the wind and vent. My sons are playing tball and flag football this year and today, I am less than thrilled, partially due to the organization and now due to some other factors.

Tball for 3 yr olds is a loss to begin with, they don’t get it….but I knew that going in. My beef is that there are 12 players on our team. 12 little guys attacking the ball- great eager players, dog piling the person who gets the ball not so great. This also greatly effects the amount they get to touch the ball, bat, and participate which I think is really the goal here….give a positive experience so that they DO want to do it again and again and really life gets competitive soon enough, not that I want Barney running the games but just not a gaggle of kids. Our team is very willing to split the team 6 and 6 play at the same times, just multiple games which is what the organizations suggestion, it is the other 2 teams of the 4 in our league who do not want to split up for what reason I cannot ascertain, and it must be a joint decision. So I have followed through on this vent and called the organization and voiced my concern.

Vent number 2…..Flag Football. Ok Dale loves the thought of playing a BIG guys game, and he can do it. He is lighting fast, but the league do not allow hand offs……for 5, 6, and 7 yr olds. They have to catch a pass every time. OK even in JR. High pretty much every play is a hand off b/c the hand, eye, foot, coordination is just not there but apparently it is for kinder, 1st, and 2nd graders. Who thought of this anyway….really I guess the logic is that they will be de- flagged too quickly….who cares at least every kid could get to touch the ball once. Dale is not the biggest on the team, but possibly one of the fastest and really with 6 and 7 yr olds there is no chance to out size them. But he NEVER gets the ball we have 2 kids who get the ball, both 7 and both big. He is one of the other 8 kids who block. It is like a 3 man game the QB, and these other 2 kids. He is at every practice and trys hard and can catch and run and even throw….do I say something. Again my thought is MAKE IT FUN, let every kid get the ball…..even if you get stomped, your kid got to play and try. If you never allow them to try a new position then they will never learn a new position…..not ever holding the ball does not allow you to do it better. I know he is not Vince Young but right now he thinks he is and who am I to say he’s not.

Any Advice?????

No comments: